Since 9/11, (actual or perceived) Muslims, Arabs and South Asians have been viewed by law enforcement as a potential threat on no basis other than religion, casting guilt on all members of that faith.
The New York City Police Department (NYPD) has developed a sweeping and secretive human surveillance program that targets Muslims and members of the Arab and South Asian communities in New York City, New Jersey, and elsewhere – solely on the basis of their religious affiliation.
This massive mapping and surveillance program has been used to monitor the lives of Muslims, their businesses, houses of worship, organizations and schools – despite any basis for belief of criminal activity.
- Published by
- Center for Constitutional Rights
- Document type
- Copyright 2014 by Center for Constitutional Rights. All rights reserved.
- What to read next
- Dangerously Out of Bounds: Tasers in Nebraska
- Our Homes are Not Battlefields
- Protecting Equity: The Consortium for Police Leadership in Equity Report on the San Jose Police Department
- Linked data add horizontal_rule