We can imagine the pain and suffering that the youth and families in Newtown, Connecticut are experiencing. As youth growing up on some of America's deadliest streets, we are all too familiar with gun violence and its impacts. Too many of us have been shot and shot at. We have buried our friends and family members. Nearly all of us have been to more funerals than graduations. No one wants the violence to stop more than we do.
But, we have also seen how attempts to build public safety with security systems, armed police and prisons have failed. We want college prep, not prison prep.
- Published by
- youth Justice Coalition
- Document type
- Issue/Policy Brief
- North America / United States
- Copyright 2014 by Youth Justice Coalition. All rights reserved.
- What to read next
- The Data Gap: School Policing In Louisiana
- Police in Schools Are Not the Answer to School Shootings
- Restorative Justice Now!: A Community Review of Alexandria City Public Schools’ Implementation of Restorative Justice
- Linked data add horizontal_rule